Sketching in San Miguel de Allende in Mexico voted by Conde Nast “World’s Best City”
Join our small fully escorted group with renowned International Travel Sketching tutor ERIN HILL who is your inspiration and mentor for this tour.
So you think you can’t sketch….?
Even if you have never put a pen on paper to sketch anything – or if you have been sketching for a long time – you will find this 11 days in San Miguel de Allende in Mexico experience magic and inspirational.
You will be amazed at what you can achieve when we show you the way.
The bond within the group becomes very special as everyone learns from and encourages each other as they sketch.
This is a tour that gives you a wonderful gift to take home with you for life.
See some of Erin’s lovely artwork here.
** see special price offer till May 1st 2017
Please check this status with us before booking airfares.
Learn to sketch or just come to relax and enjoy sketching in this magic UNESCO WORLD HERITAGE city full of Jacaranda trees in flower, cobbled streets, pink limestone architecture, funky art galleries and eternal Spring weather.
NO sketching experience or skill required just come and have fun and learn a skill for life in one of the culturally richest and most fascinating towns in Mexico with a fun group of people.
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
- Ringed by Bajio mountains San Miguel is, first and foremost, a city built for relaxing and is a wonderful melting pot of culture and cool.
- It is a wonderful mix of Spanish and Creole, “mestizo” and ancient “Otomi” peoples.
- Even its Doors are beautiful!: San Miguel de Allende’s historic center has two thousand colorful doors framed by handcrafted ironworks.
- The streets are lined with colonial era homes featuring handmade wrought iron and woodwork and draped bougainvilleas…
- The Colours of San Miguel for sketching are remarkable: everywhere is a myriad of yellow, blue, red, green, orange and ochre on buildings, gardens, interiors, cobblestones, sky and food
- And don’t forget the wonderful food which is market fresh, organic and superior in taste to most other places in the world.
There are no parking meters, no traffic signals and no fast food restaurants.
11 days in San Miguel de Allende sketch holiday we will see and sketch:
- Cañada de la Virgen; an “Otomi people” archaeological site being guided by our enthusiastic archaeologist
- Meet locals and lunch with them
- Do A local Food Tour
- Historic Walk tour
- Rancho tour
- Visit the colorful Mercado de Artesanias (covered artists market)
- Sketch the amazing sunsets and the Jacaranda trees
- Lunch in the gorgeous public library garden – -perfect for sketching
- Sketch the sculpted gardens in El Jardin in the main square
- Hear mariachi bands
- See dance performances
- See colorful ceremonies
- Enjoy coffee in the countless chic cafes
- Picnic in the Botanic Gardens
- The spectacular cathedral La Parroquia of St Michael the Archangel
- Mexican Mask Gallery “La Otra Cara de México” – the other face of Mexico
- Quirky shops and ateliers (workshops)
- Allende’s house from the 18th century
Because San Miguel was built into the side of a mountain, bring comfortable shoes!
PRACTICALITIES: getting to Mexico and then San Miguel de Allende.
Our tour starts at 5 pm in San Miguel de Allende on March 12.
Travel insurance. We require all our travellers to have this and provide us with the details at time of booking for their own protection and safety.
If you are coming from CUBA on Erin Hill’s sketch holiday which ends in Havana on March 11 then you will require a flight from HAVANA to Mexico City on March 11, 2018
For people outside America and who are not coming from Erin’s CUBA Sketching Tour, you would fly into Mexico City and then either get a local flight to Leon/Guanajuato airport or order a private car pickup from Mexico City airport to San Miguel. (3.5 hours drive and about $250 USD between 1 or 2 people sharing the car)
There are also public buses to San Miguel de Allende from the airport to save the expense of a private transfer from Mexico airport. (For details visit http://vivasanmiguel.com/san-miguel-transportation.htm)
The Leon airport is about and 1.5 hours drive from San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. It is by far the most used for people travelling to San Miguel. However, people flying from the northern US or Canada often find cheaper fares flying into Mexico City.
If several people are going to be arriving in MEXICO CITY airport at the same time then we can help you order a group transfer.
DO I NEED A VISA FOR MEXICO?
- Australians can enter Mexico visa-free for stays up to 180 days. You must also obtain and present to immigration a Multiple Immigration Form (Forma Migratoria Multiple – FMM). It’s a visitor’s card and should be handed out by your airline or be available at land borders.
- You must have an entry stamp put in your passport on arrival in Mexico, failure to do so will result in a fine at the time of departure.
- You may be asked to show you have a return or onward ticket and sufficient funds for your stay before being allowed entry. A travel itinerary should suffice.
Travel/transit through USA
If you are entering Mexico through the US (including Hawaii) you will need to meet US entry or transit requirements. Even if you don’t intend to leave the airport you will need a transit visa. Australians visiting the USA for a holiday are eligible to be admitted for up to 90 days under the Visa Waiver Program. While you don’t have to apply for a visa you do need to apply for an Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA), confusing, but think of it as a permit for visa-free entry. Fortunately it’s all done online. The official website is http://www.cbp.gov/esta. And you’ll need a credit card to pay the $US14 fee.
Check your Australian Passport!
NB: To enter the USA your passport must either be ‘machine-readable” or one of the newer e-passports. If you have an old passport that DOES NOT have two lines of 44 characters below the photograph and a biodata page it IS NOT machine-readable. If you’re unsure about your passport contact the Australian Passports Information Service on 1312 32