Welcome to the world of travel sketching. This is not a typical art class as you know it. We won’t be teaching you to paint. Or draw. We will however teach you the foundation skills of how to see and to sketch an impression that’s your own.
Our Travel Sketching classes
Intro to Travel Sketching
If you’ve never travel sketched with us before, start here. Classes offered in Manly, Rose Bay and The Rocks.
Courses for our regular students who return term after term. Every class is different you learn new tricks and techniques with a few surprises thrown in. Classes offered in Manly and The Rocks.
Travel in your own city. Course runs every Wednesday in a different Sydney city location.
Timetables for Term 1
Jan 30 – April 7 (10 weeks)
To get the best experience of travel sketching we’ve designed course that run over consecutive weeks. Each class is carefully designed to build on the last. If you’re interested in one off experiences head on over to our workshops.
Intro to Travel Sketching (10 weeks)
10 weeks – $395
Travel Sketching (Choose up to 10 weeks)
10 weeks – $395
Less than 10 weeks – $50 per class
Casual – $55 per class – Check with tutors for available spots!)
A note about make up classes
We understand life can get busy so we offer make-up classes.
These are ideally taken within the same week so you don’t miss new steps. However you are also welcome to take any Intro or Travel Sketching class (in any location) within the term. Do let your tutor know.
How to book
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure there is a place available
- Download & complete a booking form
- Pay by either bank transfer, cash or cheque
Direct deposit details:
Erin Hill Studio
NAB BSB: 082-299
What to bring
- A positive attitude
- Money for lunch or a coffee
- Your essential Erin Hill sketch kit
- Umbrella/warm layer if it’s cold/rainy
Future term dates
Term 2 2018 – April 24 – June 30
Term 3 2018 – July 17 – September 22
Term 4 2018 – October 9 – December 15
More info on our courses
Intro to Travel Sketching Courses – all the info
- If you haven’t sketched with us before, this is the start of your journey.
- Anybody can learn to sketch with the ErinHill approach.
You may or may not have previous art experience, but this is where you start your journey.
- Leave your fears at the door.
- We will show you step by step how to go about it.
- We’ll be teaching you the foundation skills of Travel Sketching in courses or Workshops, along with our unique ways of using colour.
- Over the weeks we cover the following:
WEEK 1. Seeing shape
WEEK 2. Applying Colour the EHS way
WEEK 3. Water and Sea
WEEK 4. Watercolour Introduction
WEEK 5. Flat perspective & colour
WEEK 6. Eye level perspective and architecture
WEEK 7. People and figures. Etc etc.
WEEK 8. Sketching from memory
WEEK 9. Classic everyday shapes
WEEK 10. Review of techniques
- You’ll have your first sketch within an hour.
After 10 weeks you can join a Travel Sketching class which continues your journey of observing the world around you, and colour applications. We work to a program where you learn something new each week.
- We have a custom designed Sketch Kit to get you started.
Travel Sketching Courses
- Travel Sketching Courses are for those who’ve completed an Intro Course and for our regular and long term sketchers.
- The Rocks Sydney. Begins with a short meditation.
This one takes you more slowly into your Travel Sketching Course.
- In Travel Sketching courses we use a number of mediums and mixed media with our sketches to create exciting effects. We also work on creating a journal of your adventures so you’ll always have a forever memory of those special times and places.
- We use watercolours in different ways along with other mediums. Perfect for those who love trying techniques and wish to learn more. Use the EHS kit or your own. Needs to be portable of course.
- Our courses are perfect for the long term regular sketcher who wants to continue learning and take their sketching to the limit and beyond. Many love the sociability you’ll discover within the groups. You never stop learning and having fun.